Featured in the July/August 2018 Issue of TOI Magazine.
Follow Sachi on Instagram!!
Time: 50 minutes
1 Can of Chickpeas
1 Large Head of Purple Cauliflower
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
3 TBS of Fresh Thyme
2 Summer Squash
Avocado Oil (or any high heat oil)
1 Pint of Cherry Tomatoes
1 TBS of Vegan Butter
¾ Cup of Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake for 40 minutes, tossing half way through.
- While chickpeas bake, remove the cauliflower core and roughly chop. Place into food processor, and pulse ~5 times until small and the texture of rice. Be careful not to over process! Place cauliflower rice into bowl and add 1 TBS of extra virgin olive oil, 1 TSP of salt, ½ TSP of pepper, minced garlic, and 2 TBS of chopped thyme. Stir until combined.
- Spread cauliflower onto baking sheet, forming a thin layer. Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F (can be in the oven with chickpeas), stirring halfway through.
- While cauliflower and chickpeas bake, chop summer squash into ½-inch cubes. Place into skillet on medium heat with 1 TBS of avocado oil. Add 1 TBS of smoked paprika, 1 TSP of turmeric, 1 TSP of salt, and ½ TSP of pepper. Sautée for 10 minutes until golden.
- Once summer squash is done, remove from pan. Turn the stove up to high and add 1 TBS of avocado oil. Add cherry tomatoes (whole) and cook for 3 minutes until they burst and soften, stirring often.
- In a small skillet on medium heat add 1 TBS of vegan butter. Once hot and bubbly, add bread crumbs, 1 TBS of thyme, 1 TSP of salt, and ½ TSP of pepper. Cook for 4 minutes until golden, stirring frequently. Remove from pan immediately to avoid over browning.
- When chickpeas are golden and crispy, remove from oven. Toss with 1 TSP of extra virgin olive oil, 1 TBS of smoked paprika, ½ TSP of turmeric, ½ TSP of salt, and ½ TSP of pepper.
- Top cauliflower rice with summer squash, burst tomatoes, roasted chickpeas, toasted breadcrumbs, and chopped scallions. Squeeze lemon over dish and watch the cauliflower rice change from purple to pink! (Pink)ture perfect!